Help for Dental Schools Preparing Students for NBDE Part I
To support this effort, Exam Master has developed a customized assessment program to help dental schools prepare their students for NBDE Part I. The goal is to provide DMD-2 students a structured opportunity to refresh knowledge of basic science foundational content and practice taking fast-paced multiple choice examinations in preparation for the NBDE Part I examination.
While the program may vary, reflecting differences in dental school curricula, practices or objectives, at high level the program includes the following features and objectives for all dental schools:
- The delivery of a multi-disciplinary assessment to assist students and faculty in identifying gaps in basic science knowledge.
- To refresh previously-learned basic science concepts, using self-directed review activity, in preparation for individual discipline-based examinations.
- To reinforce basic science concepts and test-taking skills.
- To review basic science content with faculty with a focus on those content areas needing particular support.
- As preparation for the technical aspects of the Part I board examination, to help students practice making rapid decisions during examinations by taking computer-based multiple choice examinations on basic science content using stressed (rapid) exam timing.
- Practice self- directed learning skills that form the foundation for lifelong learning
While dental students are typically high achievers, and programs do a remarkable job preparing students for competency, they tell us they need support in this area. Rather than leave things to chance, they are taking concrete steps to guide the students into better self-assessment and building confidence for the Part I examination.